There are several memorials which have been erected in remembrance and gratitude for
the service and sacrifice of the brave and gallant men of 7th Battalion, The Royal
From September 1939 until their departure for France in April 1940, the Battalion was
based in several buildings around Dyke Road, Brighton. The wrought iron gates to the
Lady Chapel were erected and dedicated around 1950 in honour of all ranks who served
in the Battalion, many of whom worshipped in St Nicholas’ Church between
September 1939 and May 1940.
Amiens - St Roch Station
An employee from St Roch station, Mr Jean-Marie Tiquet, puzzled by British tourists
coming to the Station, took an interest and learnt that they were amongst the survivors
of the 7th Royal Sussex on a pilgrimage in remembrance of their friends who were killed
or wounded when their train was dive-bombed there on 18 May 1940. It was thus that Mr
Jacques Mercier and Mr Jean-Marie Tiquet, in collaboration with their friends and
sympathisers, decided that a plaque to the memory of the victims of the bombing, should
be placed in the hall of St Roch Station. This Plaque was officially unveiled at a ceremony
on 19 May 1990 in the presence of surviving members of 7th Battalion, to commemorate the
50th Anniversary of the bombing.
Amiens - Rue de Rouen (Chateau Blanc)
Following a visit by some of the men in April 1980, the City of Amiens erected a Memorial Stone
alongside the Rue de Rouen near the site of the old Chateau Blanc, where the Battalion were attacked
by a German Panzer Division on 20 May 1940. In 1999, the Stone was renovated and relocated to its
present position, following which it was re-dedicated on 18 April 1999 at a Service of Remembrance
with some of the surviving veterans and representatives from the City of Amiens.